It’s been nearly two months’ worth of weekend work, but the whole ordeal with replacing the repro fender with the repaired original GPW fender is complete, including having to deal with a total realignment of the body tub! This update includes a recent update on the Jeep restoration as a whole, and getting an original push/pull switch tag!
Last month I started the process of repairing my original GPW passenger fender to replace the temporary reproduction fender. With the welding and overall repairing done, it was time to swap the fenders… but things didn’t go as planned making what should have been a small project into a two-month project requiring a complete realignment of the body tub!
Alternator that looks like a Generator
Having a one-wire Delco alternator on the Jeep has always bothered me, it looks out of place and is a dead give-away that the Jeep has something post-war on it. So, I looked into a Powermaster Alternator that looks like a generator… and after several modifications, I got it to work! Here’s the entire process from start to finish!
Fire Extinguisher, more Horn Work, Axle work, and more!
This week continues the busy work with all the new items I acquired for the Jeep in the previous updates. I changed the mount for my Horn based on some new evidence, finished the restoration of a proper Fire Extinguisher, installed the GPW dipstick, I started work on the replacement GPW hood, and more axle work (which ran into a major halt).
Fire extinguisher, new wheels, F Bolts, and more!
This week an uptick with work on the Jeep! From getting a fire extinguisher bracket to four new firestone military tires for the Jeep! Also some more axle work was done (and some good news), replaced some more non-wartime bolts with F bolts, and more work testing out Voltage Regulator inspector stamps!
Bolt Changes, Inspector Stamps, and an F Stamp Guide!
After the very big update last week with the engine head change, this week was quite light. I changed out the last two hex bolts with the correct style recessed head bolts, continued work on finding the perfect way to put an inspector stamp on the Voltage Regulator, and since the update is so short, I thought I’d put together an external F stamp visual guide!
Birthday Present for the Jeep!
This week I had a few small projects, and started one big project! Since the Jeep turned 76 last week, I got ahold of an original GPW head block which I’ll be putting on the engine with the correct studs/F Bolts! This week includes PART 1 of installation! I also continued work on adding recessed head bolts, attempted to make inspector stamps for the Voltage Regulator, and more. It’s a bit of a smaller update than usual, but still some good work!
All about the Top Bows!
This week saw several more projects finished on the Jeep including the addition of footman loops on the top bows along with the top bow straps, the addition of the top bow storage straps under the passenger seat, a complete tutorial on how to fold the canvas top and also how to put a canvas top on a Jeep, more GPW axle work, and much more!
Jeep goes topless!
A week of more projects, mostly smaller things like replacing more bolts with F stamped ones. I also continue work on the fuel sender/gas gauge issues. I show how to reset Jeep circuit breakers, repaint the voltage regulator, some cool discoveries, and more! Plus some shots of the Jeep without the top!
More Painting and small jobs
Another week of smaller jobs here and there getting various items prepped for the eventual return to the Jeep. Some of the larger items, like the fender and grill, have been painted with a final coat of primer and OD Green!