It’s been nearly two months’ worth of weekend work, but the whole ordeal with replacing the repro fender with the repaired original GPW fender is complete, including having to deal with a total realignment of the body tub! This update includes a recent update on the Jeep restoration as a whole, and getting an original push/pull switch tag!
Windshield weatherseal, NOS Filterette, & more!
Finally, some more work on the Jeep! I finally got around to replacing the over sprayed with paint windshield weather seal, which ended up a bigger task than I thought! I also finally got a NOS Tobe Filterette to replace my home-made mini filterette bypass that I had on the Jeep. That project took several days after some setbacks. During the process, I also fixed the annoying air filter wing screws that always seem to break. And lastly, I got another piece to the First Aid kit!
Small Projects and Extras
With things at a bit of a standstill as I figure out my next move with the strange rear axle noise, I didn’t do much this week. However, there are several side projects I’ve done the last few months that I’ve yet to cover with the Jeep, so I decided to compile them into this week’s update including a F stamped keychain, wartime Fire Extinguisher and modern Extinguisher, Push-Pull switch tags, and more!
Finishing up the Transfer Case and rebuilding the Emergency Brake!
In this week’s update, I finish up the transfer case rebuild adding the yokes and the external emergency brake. I also explain how to adjust the e-brake according to the TM manuals. Finally, I finish off the T-84 Transmission with a new second gear and get repairs done to the cover. Also, some goodies that have arrived in the mail the last few weeks!
Rear Axle Extravaganza!
This past week was a whirlwind of work on the rear axle replacement, finally removing the CJ axles and bringing in the wartime GPW one with combat rims and correct Firestone tires! It wasn’t all fun, though, as I had to weld underneath the Jeep, ran into some issues reinstalling the springs, and more. But still, making progress!
Axle replacement begins!
This past week was another busy one with the start of one of the last major projects on my Jeep’s restoration… replacing the post-war axles with the 1943 GPW axles! I started work on the rear of the Jeep first, taking most of the week to clean/restore my springs, shocks, and other items in prep for the new axle!
This past week was quite busy with lots of work done on the GPW front axle, and it’s FINALLY done bringing the restoration of the axles to a close! I installed the Tie Rods, prepped the brake lines, painted the axle, cleaned up some important things, added the brake lines, and greased it up! Also in this update, a quick update on the GPW hood and two original WW2 Jeep books I recently picked up.
Small projects, Hood Finishing, and Axle work!
Lots of projects this week making for quite the busy work! I worked on various small projects that have been needing to be done, such as modifying a rear seat J hook to fit, prepping shock brackets with fake rivets, and replacing the combat rim valve stem protectors. Work on the hood continues, it’s all finished minus the markings! And I continue work on the front axle installing the RZeppa shafts, packing grease into the knuckle, installing the brake plates/drums, and adjusting the brakes!
Small projects, custom F Stamps, Hood work, and completing the rear axle!
This past week was a flurry of work on the Jeep in prep for the Veterans Day military vehicle and car show in Old Town Tustin, CA. That meant finishing some smaller projects that I’d been meaning to get around to (mostly cosmetic things). Some photos from the Veterans Day event and the 9 other Jeeps that showed up included. I continued work on the GPW hood and had a major setback. And I FINALLY finished the rear GPW axle! Work then began on the Front axle
Rear Axle work – Part 2
The second part of this past week’s update, this one focuses just on the rear axle work. From diagnosing a serious issue to a full write up on adjusting the brakes! Plus, the axle turns Green at the end!