Another long gap between updates, but this is a big one and also explains the long gaps between these overheating parts! This update includes custom radiator rubber tubes, fixing the thermostat elbow corrosion, some neat GPW finds, another fire extinguisher, and taking on a huge project!
Tackling the overheating Jeep – Part 2
It’s been a few weeks, but a lot has happened over that time! Here I continue the quest to fix the overheating engine with a special surprise help from a friend. Follow along as I continue to troubleshoot this ongoing issue!
After struggling with overheating issues last week, this week I dove into trying to diagnose what the issue might be, the thermostat, the coolant, the radiator, etc. Plus taking some temperature readings and a test run without a thermostat.
For the second year in a row, I was able to participate in the Corona, CA 4th of July Parade… and this time I got to tow a WW2 Jeep Trailer (first time)! But, as I drove home, the Jeep started to overheat, so I do some digging into the issue.
Replacing the Water Pump, Thermostat Redo, & Flea Market Finds!
After another lull in updates on the Jeep, this week I finally have things to show! I’d been meaning to replace my post-war water pump with a GPW wartime-style water pump, and this was the week it happened! I also re-did my thermostat which was leaking slightly. I also worked out a way to do some temporary markings, and I go through some more recent Jeep flea market finds!
Ring & Pinion journey, Fire Extinguisher Decal, looking for more history, etc!
This week I finally saw the light of the end of the tunnel trying to acquire a ring and pinion set… which revealed a great surprise! I then attempted to find some more history on my Jeep via the body tub, more work on the Fire Extinguisher decal, and finally finding a wartime jerry can for the Jeep!
Wartime GPW Head exchange!
Finally, after so many delays it just got to be silly, the Jeep is back up and driving again! In this extra-long update, I go through the entire process of changing out my CJ2 engine head to a wartime GPW head! That includes adding the correct studs, bolts, a GPW thermostat, and a copper gasket. It’s been a multi-week project! I also continue replacing bolts with correct recessed head bolts and replace one of the top bow brackets with a GPW one. Plus several other things!
Birthday Present for the Jeep!
This week I had a few small projects, and started one big project! Since the Jeep turned 76 last week, I got ahold of an original GPW head block which I’ll be putting on the engine with the correct studs/F Bolts! This week includes PART 1 of installation! I also continued work on adding recessed head bolts, attempted to make inspector stamps for the Voltage Regulator, and more. It’s a bit of a smaller update than usual, but still some good work!