This week’s update includes a trip to Lyon Air Museum with the Jeep for an event and then a photoshoot around Old Town Orange! I continue work on a friend’s Fuel Filter and start work on his Air Cleaner for a full restoration. Finally, a look at a ‘smaller’ Jeep project I’ve continued.
Last month I started the process of repairing my original GPW passenger fender to replace the temporary reproduction fender. With the welding and overall repairing done, it was time to swap the fenders… but things didn’t go as planned making what should have been a small project into a two-month project requiring a complete realignment of the body tub!
Now that the holidays have passed, I have been able to get a start on my next big project which is repairing the original passenger fender! This is part one of what will be several parts during the repair and install. I also found some new history on my Jeep! Plus I started a new side project!
Jeep makes the cover of a magazine and F Bolts!
A small update with some new enhancements to the Jeep in the form of replacing a few bolts for F stamped ones. Also, a really exciting announcement about the Jeep!
Transmission Project Continues…
After last week’s successful dismantling of the transfer case, this week I work on cleaning/painting the case to a nice OD Green! I also replaced some bushings in the T-84 transmission gears and realized some issues with another gear. Also, in this update, I show how the T-84 works in first, second, third, and reverse. Lastly, I finally found a war-time jerry can nozzle and show the differences between wartime and post-war nozzles!
Gears, Gears, and more Gears!
After a successful removal of the transmission last week and then the successful disassembly of the T-84 Transmission, this week I turned my sights to the transfer case! As with last week’s tutorial on the disassembly, this week also has a full tutorial on how to take apart a D-18 transfer case, which appears to be ALL original and never taken apart! I also work on priming and painting the T-84 and various other items in prep for the rebuild!
Transmission’s the name!
After unsuccessfully solving the clackity sound the last two weeks, it was time to dive into the last unexplored frontier on my Jeep… the transmission! This is the ONLY thing not completely restored. So, this week I started prep work to remove the transmission and transfer case from the Jeep. I show how to safely remove it while the body tub is on, separate the transmission box from the transfer case, and how to completely disassemble the transfer case! This is the start of another very big multi-week project!
New Year, New Axles!
Kicking off the New Year, things are in high gear as I continue work on replacing the CJ axles with the wartime GPW axles I’ve restored over the last year. This week I focused on reinstalling the front axle, starting off with adding the combat rims/tires, reinstalling the springs, adding the Torque Reaction Spring, and reinstalling the shocks! I also took some extra time to take plain head bolts on the fenders and turn them into F stamped bolts!
Christmas time for the Jeep!
This past week (and a few days) have been filled with Jeep work any second it wasn’t a holiday! I continued work on the front springs, shocks, and propeller shaft in prep for installing the front axle! Most of this week was cleaning/wire wheeling things and discovering what all I had on the Jeep. I also continued my ‘custom F stamps’ for bolts. Lots of work!
Fire Extinguisher, more Horn Work, Axle work, and more!
This week continues the busy work with all the new items I acquired for the Jeep in the previous updates. I changed the mount for my Horn based on some new evidence, finished the restoration of a proper Fire Extinguisher, installed the GPW dipstick, I started work on the replacement GPW hood, and more axle work (which ran into a major halt).