Last month I started the process of repairing my original GPW passenger fender to replace the temporary reproduction fender. With the welding and overall repairing done, it was time to swap the fenders… but things didn’t go as planned making what should have been a small project into a two-month project requiring a complete realignment of the body tub!
Transmission Project Continues…
After last week’s successful dismantling of the transfer case, this week I work on cleaning/painting the case to a nice OD Green! I also replaced some bushings in the T-84 transmission gears and realized some issues with another gear. Also, in this update, I show how the T-84 works in first, second, third, and reverse. Lastly, I finally found a war-time jerry can nozzle and show the differences between wartime and post-war nozzles!
Gears, Gears, and more Gears!
After a successful removal of the transmission last week and then the successful disassembly of the T-84 Transmission, this week I turned my sights to the transfer case! As with last week’s tutorial on the disassembly, this week also has a full tutorial on how to take apart a D-18 transfer case, which appears to be ALL original and never taken apart! I also work on priming and painting the T-84 and various other items in prep for the rebuild!
This past week was quite busy with lots of work done on the GPW front axle, and it’s FINALLY done bringing the restoration of the axles to a close! I installed the Tie Rods, prepped the brake lines, painted the axle, cleaned up some important things, added the brake lines, and greased it up! Also in this update, a quick update on the GPW hood and two original WW2 Jeep books I recently picked up.
Hood history, painting along with kingpin/knuckle work!
This week was a crazy busy week with work on two major ongoing projects.. the GPW hood and the GPW front axle! This week I continued work removing paint and rust on the hood, did some historical recovery of hood numbers, and painted the hood. After finishing the rear axle last week, I began work on the front axle with one of the more tricky parts… the kingpin and knuckle installation. I go through a full tutorial on how to set those along with the dust shields!
Clutch linkage replaced
Work continued at a slow pace this week, not much left to do. Had to wait a few days for the arrival of new parts for the clutch linkage. Those arrived over last weekend, and I went to work replacing the worn items… but it took a LOT of work.
The last week has been pretty busy with work done on the Jeep each day. The pace has certainly slowed down dramatically, and many of the projects I have left take a long time to complete, so it’s not as productive feeling since these projects are tedious. The good news is the Jeep RUNS! The bad news… there’s another issue.
Lots and lots of work!
This past week has been day and night working on the Jeep. Any time not eating food or working has been spent working! So much to do, so little time… but some great progress! It’s been a lot of work for sure. The Grill is finished, and lots more parts are painted. I’ve also started to amass all the various bolts/screws/nuts/washers/etc I need for mounting everything on the Jeep.
Body Tub Test Mounted!
Work continues at as fast of a pace as possible trying to get the Jeep ready by July 27th! Lots of new holes drilled, items test fitted, and a LOT more! This is a big update!
Body Tub ALMOST done!
Another busy week working on the Jeep every morning and evening (plus weekends). Not quite as fast of a pace as I was hoping, but still getting lots of progress. Going back and forth between working on the engine, painting various things, and drilling holes in the new body tub..