In this week’s update, I took the Jeep out to an event I helped put on at the Planes of Fame Air Museum which had TEN Jeeps! After a recap of the entire event, I show a new idea for safety in night-time driving. Finally, for those in California, I discuss license plates from 1940-1945 and how they changed each year.
The complete ‘clackity’ Axle Saga
It’s been 5 months now since I replaced the CJ axles on my Jeep with original GPW wartime ones. I’ve been plagued with a ‘clackity’ sound that just won’t go away after all these months, lots of work, lots of money, countless tests, etc. So I thought for this week I’d go through the entire story from start to finish. It’s been frustrating, to say the least! Join me on this ongoing journey…
Drag Links, Wheel Alignment, Brake Bleeding…
Work continues at a rapid pace with the GPW axles! With the CJ axles GONE, the wartime restored GPW axles are going in. This update is packed with things from the installation of the GPW drag link, adjusting the steering, finding a solution to the bending spring leaf plates, setting the wheel alignment and toe-in (with a diagram!), and finally… bleeding the brakes!
This past week was quite busy with lots of work done on the GPW front axle, and it’s FINALLY done bringing the restoration of the axles to a close! I installed the Tie Rods, prepped the brake lines, painted the axle, cleaned up some important things, added the brake lines, and greased it up! Also in this update, a quick update on the GPW hood and two original WW2 Jeep books I recently picked up.
Small projects, custom F Stamps, Hood work, and completing the rear axle!
This past week was a flurry of work on the Jeep in prep for the Veterans Day military vehicle and car show in Old Town Tustin, CA. That meant finishing some smaller projects that I’d been meaning to get around to (mostly cosmetic things). Some photos from the Veterans Day event and the 9 other Jeeps that showed up included. I continued work on the GPW hood and had a major setback. And I FINALLY finished the rear GPW axle! Work then began on the Front axle
Ax Staining, Axles, Alternator, Fuel Lines, and more
This week started slow, but lots of projects piled up! Starting off with trying to get my ax to stain darker, getting shock brackets and a torque reaction spring to restore, removing bearings and racers from the rear axle, new axle drums, and what started as making the fan belt tighter that turned into a huge multi-day project!
All about the Top Bows!
This week saw several more projects finished on the Jeep including the addition of footman loops on the top bows along with the top bow straps, the addition of the top bow storage straps under the passenger seat, a complete tutorial on how to fold the canvas top and also how to put a canvas top on a Jeep, more GPW axle work, and much more!
Jeep goes topless!
A week of more projects, mostly smaller things like replacing more bolts with F stamped ones. I also continue work on the fuel sender/gas gauge issues. I show how to reset Jeep circuit breakers, repaint the voltage regulator, some cool discoveries, and more! Plus some shots of the Jeep without the top!
Fuel Sender, F Bolts, Pintle Hook, First Aid Kit, & more!
Another stay-at-home week worked mostly on the Jeep! This is part 2 of my ongoing quest to fix the fuel sender and get a working gas gauge. I also finally replaced my post-war M38 pintle hook with a correct GPW one. More bolts were replaced to be F stamped, and I worked on restoring my First Aid kit for the Jeep. Finally, I start some work on the original body tub.
Axle painting and Jeep Hood History!
This week more work was done to the front wartime axle including painting, disassembling the steering rods, etc. Then it started to rain in SoCal, so I shifted my focus to something I’ve been meaning to do for a while… wet sand the hood to find if there were any original markings from WW2 on the Jeep! This yielded some amazing and surprising results on the Jeep’s history. But, I need some help to decipher the numbers! This is a big update!