A bit of a different update for these past few weeks… First, a special project for Christmas as I redo a 4×4 ‘Jeep’ ride-on vehicle for my nephew, then finishing the ignition switch knob project! And a recap of some Jeep-related items I got for Christmas.
Replacing the Water Pump, Thermostat Redo, & Flea Market Finds!
After another lull in updates on the Jeep, this week I finally have things to show! I’d been meaning to replace my post-war water pump with a GPW wartime-style water pump, and this was the week it happened! I also re-did my thermostat which was leaking slightly. I also worked out a way to do some temporary markings, and I go through some more recent Jeep flea market finds!
Rear axle work, axle dating, alternator enhancements, & more!
After last week’s difficult task of setting the ring and pinion (which continued this week, but it’s finally ‘mostly’ set, so I’ll add more thoughts on the process) I took some time this week to figure out the rough timeframe of the axles after some research, getting the U bolts ready, an infuriating setback with the driveshaft, adding a final touch to the ‘generator’ alternator, and more!
A new Star, more axle work, and engine item upgrades!
At long last, the hood is finished! This is PART 2 of adding the stencil markings to the hood with a brand new star with a big unveiling of the finished Jeep with new markings and axles! After that, I start work on trying to figure out what the clackity sound is coming from the rear of the Jeep by re-opening up the rear axle and diving into the carrier. This includes replacing the spider gears, side gears, and more. I also remove the pinion and check everything out before putting it all back together. Finally, I re-add the heat shield for the master cylinder and work on enhancing the engine with some new items.
The big moment… the first drive with new axles!
After weeks of work on replacing the post-war CJ axles with wartime GPW axles (that took over a year to completely restore), it’s the big moment as I take the Jeep for the first drive! But, not all is good as I hoped. In this update, I also replace the last front spring leaf plate that bent, and read the drive shafts after the restoration! Also, PART 1 of putting markings on the hood, and some other minor fixes to the Jeep!
Hood history, painting along with kingpin/knuckle work!
This week was a crazy busy week with work on two major ongoing projects.. the GPW hood and the GPW front axle! This week I continued work removing paint and rust on the hood, did some historical recovery of hood numbers, and painted the hood. After finishing the rear axle last week, I began work on the front axle with one of the more tricky parts… the kingpin and knuckle installation. I go through a full tutorial on how to set those along with the dust shields!
‘Nose Art’ for the Jeep and a look at the Rear Shocks!
Call this week the calm before the storm… this week was a bit slow but important! I finally got down to naming the Jeep and adding some ‘nose art’ to the windshield! It’s taken quite some time to do! Plus, in prep for what will be the start of rebuilding the GPW axles starting (hopefully) next week, I took a look at the rear shocks to see what they are!
Ring & Pinion journey, Fire Extinguisher Decal, looking for more history, etc!
This week I finally saw the light of the end of the tunnel trying to acquire a ring and pinion set… which revealed a great surprise! I then attempted to find some more history on my Jeep via the body tub, more work on the Fire Extinguisher decal, and finally finding a wartime jerry can for the Jeep!
Fire extinguisher, new wheels, F Bolts, and more!
This week an uptick with work on the Jeep! From getting a fire extinguisher bracket to four new firestone military tires for the Jeep! Also some more axle work was done (and some good news), replaced some more non-wartime bolts with F bolts, and more work testing out Voltage Regulator inspector stamps!
New fuel lines, leaks, custom stencils for my First Aid Kit, and Oil Filter stamps!
This week was half frustrating, half fun! But it was expensive… After last week’s fuel leak, I got a set of new fuel lines and had to chase yet another leak. Then I started work on custom stencils for my first aid kit which came out awesome, and stencils to do stamping on the GPW oil filter. I also continue work on restorting various items and get some new canvas items for the Jeep!