Here’s part 2 of preventative maintenance on a Jeep including checking fluid levels and common areas to check elsewhere on the Jeep. Also, a quick replacement of the Axe clamp turns into a huge project. Finally, a look at a recent Air Museum event, a special license plate project, and more!
The complete ‘clackity’ Axle Saga
It’s been 5 months now since I replaced the CJ axles on my Jeep with original GPW wartime ones. I’ve been plagued with a ‘clackity’ sound that just won’t go away after all these months, lots of work, lots of money, countless tests, etc. So I thought for this week I’d go through the entire story from start to finish. It’s been frustrating, to say the least! Join me on this ongoing journey…
Transmission goes back in the Jeep!
It’s been a month since the transmission and transfer case project started and it’s all lead up to this! It finally goes back in the Jeep. After a full tutorial on how to put it back in, I fill it with oil, reattach the driveshafts, and take it for a spin! How does it turn out? Well, you’ll have to read this update to see!
Finishing up the Transfer Case and rebuilding the Emergency Brake!
In this week’s update, I finish up the transfer case rebuild adding the yokes and the external emergency brake. I also explain how to adjust the e-brake according to the TM manuals. Finally, I finish off the T-84 Transmission with a new second gear and get repairs done to the cover. Also, some goodies that have arrived in the mail the last few weeks!
Finally, starting the other half of the transmission/transfer case restoration and rebuilds with the T-84 complete rebuild! From an empty case to a nearly ready to install transmission, the entire process is documented. Once you get the hand of how it all fits together, it’s actually quite simple! After the build, I also attach the crossmember support bracket. Finally, a new SOS Fire Guard decal for my Fire Extinguisher!
Transmission Project Continues…
After last week’s successful dismantling of the transfer case, this week I work on cleaning/painting the case to a nice OD Green! I also replaced some bushings in the T-84 transmission gears and realized some issues with another gear. Also, in this update, I show how the T-84 works in first, second, third, and reverse. Lastly, I finally found a war-time jerry can nozzle and show the differences between wartime and post-war nozzles!
Gears, Gears, and more Gears!
After a successful removal of the transmission last week and then the successful disassembly of the T-84 Transmission, this week I turned my sights to the transfer case! As with last week’s tutorial on the disassembly, this week also has a full tutorial on how to take apart a D-18 transfer case, which appears to be ALL original and never taken apart! I also work on priming and painting the T-84 and various other items in prep for the rebuild!
Transmission’s the name!
After unsuccessfully solving the clackity sound the last two weeks, it was time to dive into the last unexplored frontier on my Jeep… the transmission! This is the ONLY thing not completely restored. So, this week I started prep work to remove the transmission and transfer case from the Jeep. I show how to safely remove it while the body tub is on, separate the transmission box from the transfer case, and how to completely disassemble the transfer case! This is the start of another very big multi-week project!
Starter Issues Fixed!
After dealing with the bad starter last week, a new one arrived and fixed all the issues! But, on a drive not long after, I ran into yet ANOTHER issue, this time with the shifter…
More Painting and small jobs
Another week of smaller jobs here and there getting various items prepped for the eventual return to the Jeep. Some of the larger items, like the fender and grill, have been painted with a final coat of primer and OD Green!