It’s been nearly two months’ worth of weekend work, but the whole ordeal with replacing the repro fender with the repaired original GPW fender is complete, including having to deal with a total realignment of the body tub! This update includes a recent update on the Jeep restoration as a whole, and getting an original push/pull switch tag!
Last month I started the process of repairing my original GPW passenger fender to replace the temporary reproduction fender. With the welding and overall repairing done, it was time to swap the fenders… but things didn’t go as planned making what should have been a small project into a two-month project requiring a complete realignment of the body tub!
Jeep makes the cover of a magazine and F Bolts!
A small update with some new enhancements to the Jeep in the form of replacing a few bolts for F stamped ones. Also, a really exciting announcement about the Jeep!
New Year, New Axles!
Kicking off the New Year, things are in high gear as I continue work on replacing the CJ axles with the wartime GPW axles I’ve restored over the last year. This week I focused on reinstalling the front axle, starting off with adding the combat rims/tires, reinstalling the springs, adding the Torque Reaction Spring, and reinstalling the shocks! I also took some extra time to take plain head bolts on the fenders and turn them into F stamped bolts!
Fire Extinguishers, more Combat Rims, etc.
After last week’s big Combat Rim installation tutorial, this week went by a lot slower. I completed the rest of the combat rims (and I have a few extra notes to mention about them), worked on a post-war Fire Extinguisher, continued the ongoing chronicles of the GPW axles restoration, some ‘artsy’ shots of the Jeep, and more.
Fire extinguisher, new wheels, F Bolts, and more!
This week an uptick with work on the Jeep! From getting a fire extinguisher bracket to four new firestone military tires for the Jeep! Also some more axle work was done (and some good news), replaced some more non-wartime bolts with F bolts, and more work testing out Voltage Regulator inspector stamps!
The week nothing happened…
This week’s update is going to be a bit small, mostly because I had nothing I could do this week to the Jeep but drive it! With the axles on hold till I get a Ring and Pinion, tires and combat rims on order awaiting arrival, and most small projects done, this week I decided to do another ‘state of the Jeep’ and showcase what’s left to do.
More F Stamps, Hand Crank, Windshield Latch, etc!
This week saw a lot of little projects including changing more things to F stamps, FINALLY getting a Ford Hand Crank, Flea Market finds, adding my original windshield latch, and more!
Bolt Changes, Inspector Stamps, and an F Stamp Guide!
After the very big update last week with the engine head change, this week was quite light. I changed out the last two hex bolts with the correct style recessed head bolts, continued work on finding the perfect way to put an inspector stamp on the Voltage Regulator, and since the update is so short, I thought I’d put together an external F stamp visual guide!
Wartime GPW Head exchange!
Finally, after so many delays it just got to be silly, the Jeep is back up and driving again! In this extra-long update, I go through the entire process of changing out my CJ2 engine head to a wartime GPW head! That includes adding the correct studs, bolts, a GPW thermostat, and a copper gasket. It’s been a multi-week project! I also continue replacing bolts with correct recessed head bolts and replace one of the top bow brackets with a GPW one. Plus several other things!